Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Vegetarian Beef Noodle Soup in Taipei

Beef noodle soup is something of a national dish in Taiwan. It’s thick noodles (that I probably would have called udon noodles in a Japanese dish – that kind of consistency and size, if you’re familiar with them) with a few vegetables (cabbage, mostly), and a few hunks of beef in a semi-spicy broth, to which you add more chili to spice it up to your taste.

But, there being plenty of Buddhist restaurants in town, it stands to reason that someone makes a vegetarian version. Ev’s roommate Jenn is also vegetarian, and she found the place, and we all three met up there after Ev and I went to Taipei 101. A tiny little hole-in-the-wall restaurant with three tables and a kitchen at the front. A very nice woman cooking, and the soup was excellent. I had a second bowl. Fake meat kind of weirds me out (in more ways than one, I don’t really understand the point, but other people like it, so whatever), so I shared that with my dining companions and just ate the noodles and veggies. We were already sweating from the heat of the weather, but sweated even more from the heat of the chillies.

And, outside at a business down the street, there’s a pig. A big fat actually pig, who lives in a tiny bamboo enclosure on the side of the alley. She looks far too fat to actually stand up, but I am told she’s been seen walking. So, say hi to the pig, and get some veggie beef noodle soup.

How to get there (since I know you’re all on the next flight, after hearing all this):

Take the MRT to the Chiang-Kai Shek Memorial Hall station (or get dropped off by a taxi there). Exit through exit 2 (there are about 8 exits, take the one marked exit 2). Now, on climbing the stairs, turn around 180 degrees, then take the first left onto the road. Take the first left into an alley. Now go down the alley, and take the second right into an even smaller alley. Go down the alley about 2/3 of the way, and it will be on your right. If you see a pig on your left, you’ve gone too far.

It’s a fun place, and then you’re right near the CKS memorial hall, which is probably on your list of sights to see anyway. Go see it, and once you’ve seen the statue, sit on the steps and watch kids play in the giant plaza where there were once no doubt military parades.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on the way! What's the pig's name in case I get lost?

Cassie

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kenneth said...

'Pig', so far as I know. :)

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun little resturant. I feel sorry for the pig. I wonder if he/she was acquired for a "purpose" but instead became someone's pet.

Okay, I really don't feel so bad for the pig, but it's better if you starve them before butchering to get nice lean meat.

and fake beef broth? It sounds like some of the people eating vegetarian want to keep some omnivorian friends? Still...its a bit odd.
p.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home